Current Volunteers Login to Online Portal
Volunteer at AWA
Thank you for your interest in volunteering for Animal Welfare Association! We are proud to have the support of so many wonderful volunteers. These dedicated people put their concern for animal welfare into action by donating their time, talents and energy.
Our volunteers help in three main program areas of the organization. Volunteers assist on-site in our pet shelter and clinic, within our community through outreach programs and special events, and by becoming a foster parent.
On-site volunteers assist in both animal handling and clerical roles. Tasks range from helping in our laundry room, answering phones, making enrichment toys, sorting donations, walking our dogs, cuddling with our cats and nurturing our bunnies. To ensure that the volunteer experience is a safe and enjoyable experience for all, our program has different training levels.
*Any student wishing to fulfill a time requirement solely for service hours or an honor society should not apply to be a volunteer. Please submit a “Service Weeks for High School Students” application instead.
*Court ordered community service volunteers are not tracked through our general volunteer program so all inquiries should be directed to our Shelter Manager at firstname.lastname@example.org
Children and on-site volunteering:
Those who are 16 or 17 years old may volunteer independently with written consent from a parent. Volunteers aged 12-15 may volunteer with a parent or guardian present at all times who also attended orientation. Children younger than 12 may become involved through Humane Education, attending our Summer Camp, or by soliciting donations in our Trash to Treasure program.
Volunteers 16yrs and older- Apply here!
Volunteers 12-15 years old- Apply here!
Please note we do not offer paper applications.
- Allow 2 weeks for your application to be received. Once it is received you will be invited to our required Initial Volunteer Orientation which includes a 30 minute tour of the shelter and an hour long presentation on all aspects of our volunteer program.
- Complete your first hour of service/training with an approved Volunteer Mentor.
- Complete the remaining level 1 volunteer hours
- Sign up for level 2 training opportunities in either dog, cat, bunny, adoption counseling, or all of the above
- Sign up for special trainings: Mutt Mentors, Kitty Keepers, etc.
Please note: All volunteers who have been inactive for more than 1 year must complete a new application and attend a Volunteer Orientation in order to resume volunteering.